Few months ago, Microsoft released the version 8 of Skype and regularly prompt users to update to this new version. When Skype 8 came out, it was not well optimised for screen reader users. However, things have changed with JAWS 2018.
With the release of JAWS 2019, Freedom Scientific made the experience with Skype 8 even better. In this podcast, Alexandre shows you the different settings of Skype 8. He also gives you tips and tricks, as well as different keyboard shortcuts to use it.
You will find, at the bottom of this article, a list of all keyboard shortcuts available for Skype 8. This list will be located just after the audio player.
In addition, as a reminder, the Canadialog team can offer private or group training on request on the use of assistive technologies. Do not hesitate to contact our team to learn more about training we can offer.
Visit our website regularly to be informed when new Podcast becomes available or subscribe to our YouTube channel. See how it is possible to listen to our podcasts by consulting the list of services where our podcasts are referenced and the instructions attached to them.
List of Skype 8 keyboard shortcuts
Here is a list of Skype 8 shortcuts. This list is divided into two sections: the first containing the application-specific shortcuts, the second one, the shortcuts specific to the JAWS script.
List of application-specific shortcuts
This list is taken from target=”_blank”>the list of keyboard shortcuts available on the Skype Support website.
Note: Shortcuts preceded by an asterisk (*) are essential to know for optimal use with a screen reader.
- * Open notification panel: Ctrl + I
- * Open app settings: Ctrl + comma
- Open help in default browser: Ctrl + H
- * Launch dial pad: Ctrl + D
- * Start new conversation: Ctrl + N
- * Start new group: Ctrl + G
- Find in current conversation: Ctrl + F
- Select next message in search results: Shift + Enter
- Select previous message in search results: Enter
- * Focus Message Composer: Alt + Shift + E
- * Search for People, Groups and Messages: Ctrl + Shift + S
- * Open recent chats: Alt + 1
- * Open contacts: Alt + 2
- Open contact screen to bots: Alt + 3
- Send feedback: Ctrl + O
- * Refresh the app: Ctrl + R
- * Edit the last message sent: Up arrow after sending a message
- * Show conversation profile: Ctrl + P
- * Add people to conversation or call: Ctrl + Shift + A
- Hide conversation: Ctrl + Shift + E
- Mark as unread: Ctrl + Shift + U
- * Start video call or toggle video on or off: Ctrl + Shift + K
- Select multiple messages in conversation: Ctrl + Shift + L
- * Start or answer audio call: Ctrl + Shift + P
- * Send a file: Ctrl + Shift + F
- Open gallery: Ctrl + Shift + G
- Take a snapshot: Ctrl + S
- * Hang up: Ctrl + E
- * Toggle mute: Ctrl + M
- Open themes: Ctrl + T
- Toggle between light and dark mode: Ctrl + Shift + T
- Zoom in: Ctrl + Shift + =
- Zoom out: Ctrl + Dash
- Return to actual size: Ctrl + 0 for
- * Exit Skype: Ctrl + Q
List of shortcuts provided by the JAWS script for Skype
Note: If you are working with the laptop keyboard layout, you can replace Insert by the Caps Lock key in the following list.
- Repeat last background notification from Skype: Insert + Space, Shift + R
- Move to the chat history list: Ctrl + Insert + Y or Insert + Space, Q, H
- Move to the chat entry field: Ctrl + Insert + E or Insert + Space, Q, E
- Move to the conversations list: Ctrl + Insert + N or Insert + Space, Q, C
Keep in mind that you can also toggle on/off the JAWS virtual PC cursor by pressing Insert + Z.