The PEARL® brings blind and low vision users instant portable access to printed material with an array of human-sounding voices. The folding camera deploys in seconds to connect to your PC and snap a picture of your reading material.
Customize Your Viewing
With so many features for those with macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and other causes of low vision, you can:
- Tailor the appearance of text on your screen (font style, size, character spacing, and color)
- View with split-screen and compare your original document and OCR conversion results
- Use Masking and Word Spotlighting to help you follow text as it is read
- And even more
Lightning Fast OCR
The PEARL expands the features of OpenBook® 9.0 and above scanning and reading software to provide instant OCR. Press a keystroke to snap a picture, and hear your book read back to you with Eloquence or one of the human-sounding voices from RealSpeak Solo Direct®. You control the reading rate and voice.
In automatic mode, the PEARL senses motion and knows to snap an image whenever you turn a page. Place your paperback novel sideways, and the PEARL will snap two pages at a time and maintain the pagination. For larger books, you can capture even pages first. Flip the book over to capture the odd pages. You can keep turning pages and capturing images while OpenBook reads.
Read All Kinds of Documents
Use the PEARL to read books, newspapers, magazines, and bills. OpenBook identifies columns and places them in logical reading order. Change the language setting to read foreign language documents with native speaker voices.
Use the PEARL to Show a Live Video Image on Your PC
Snap a picture to show the enlarged image on your PC, and navigate with the virtual XY table from the keyboard. This feature is especially helpful when filling out forms.
Reformat Text for Easier Reading
Once your page has been captured, you have multiple options for viewing the information. You can display the text so that it wraps on the screen, enlarge the font, change the font style, and change the foreground and background colors. Have the individual words spotlighted as they are spoken.
More PEARL Features
- Scans 20 pages per minute while reading
- Add comments and highlighting
- Export to other applications like Microsoft® Word or Notepad
Take the PEARL with You Anywhere
The PEARL sets up in seconds to provide a stable platform for the camera with alignment features to ensure you capture a good image every time. It runs off a single USB port – no battery or external power supply required.
- USB 2.0
- OpenBook 9 or above
- 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows 2008 Server, and 32-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server operating systems